Federal Dredge Fill Permits

The U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (USCOE) requires permits for dredge and fill activities in federal jurisdictional waters and wetlands under Section 10 of the Rivers and Harbors Act and/or Section 404 of the Clean Water Act. Activities requiring a permit from the USCOE include: beach renourishment, filling of jurisdictional wetlands or surface waters, construction of bulkheads, bridges, docks, piers, marinas and associated structures. Applications are typically made jointly as part of the state Environmental Permit process. A Joint Environmental Resource Permit application is submitted to the Department of Environmental Protection (DEP) or the area Water Management District (WMD), who forwards the application to the USCOE. Separate permits must be secured from both agencies prior to the start of construction. The applications may also be reviewed by the USCOE’s sister agencies, the National Marine Fisheries Service and/or the U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service, if there are potential impacts to protected species, their habitat, or other significant biological resources by the proposed project.

The type of permit issued by the USCOE is dependent on the scope of the proposed project. Types of permits include: Letter of Permission, Individual Permit, Nationwide Permit and a Regional/General Permit.

Coastal Systems International, Inc. staff has experience in collecting all necessary scientific and technical data to make a complete application for an USCOE permit and are well-versed in the engineering and environmental requirements to meet federal criteria. Our biologists and project managers are regularly updated on the latest federal regulations and procedures, including the Section 7 consultation process under the Endangered Species Act.